Monday, July 12, 2010

"It's Better Than Ivar's!"

Warning: The post you are about to read is a recipe. Clay read it and said, "It's a recipe. How interesting can it be?" I happen to think recipes can be very interesting. I often find myself reading cookbooks and cooking magazines in bed.

Clay often reads Tape-Op.

Which is more interesting? Let's take a pole. I mean a poll. Spend 5 minutes on the Tape Op site. (Actually, 30 seconds is all you need.) And then vote which is more interesting. Check back later for results.

So anyway, here is the recipe. Or for those who prefer Tape-Op, go to their latest post titled How To Pack Things for Shipping so They Don't Get Damaged. We have nothing more to say to each other.

One week ago I made Chili Grilled Salmon with Cucumber-Mango Salsa for Ashley and Nancy. The following night I made it again for Debbie and Peyman and the next night for Paul and Leora. I took a night off and then made it for my mom and dad. My dad proclaimed, "This is the best salmon I've ever had. It's better than Ivar's." For those not from Seattle, Ivar's is a local seafood chain that apparently is the gold standard for fine dining as far as my father is concerned.

I made it three more times this week including again for Debbie and Peyman and my parents. I wanted to make it again tonight but made this with pasta instead.

The fish is so good. Trust me, and make it tomorrow night.

Ingredients (for the fish)

1 lb of fresh salmon fillet
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tbs of vegetable or olive oil
2 tbs of chili powder
2 tsp of dried oregano

Ingredients (for the cucumber-mango salsa)


2 ripe but firm mangoes, flesh removed and finely diced
1/2 English (hothouse) cucumber, finely diced
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1 orange
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 small bunch of fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp of salt
10 grinds of fresh black pepper


Directions:
Season the fish with salt and pepper to taste. Rub all over with oil. Mix the chili powder and oregano together in a bowl until evenly combined. Massage over the fish to coat the fish evenly. Let stand, covered, at room temperature for 30 minutes or up to 6 hours in the refrigerator. Add more salt 'cause salt is so good.

Heat a skillet over high heat. Cook the salmon 4-5 minutes per side, until crispy on both sides and cooked medium. (I've also made it on the BBQ, no flipping involved.)

Toss the salsa ingredients together in a mixing bowl.

Since it's so healthy you should probably make it with these brownies

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we need another choice.

Grandpa La La

Ericka said...

Kevin's going fishing tomorrow, fingers crossed that I'll be able to apply this interesting and useful recipe to his catch!

kim said...

I'm going to have to agree with Grandpa and ask for more options. Unless the options include more news about George's bowels. He will not love you when he's older and realizes what you posted.

For Clay, I have four words about recipes: Martha Stewart. Pioneer Woman.

Hugo's Momma said...

I like reading cooking magazines. I don't make anything but the meals usually sound yummy.