Thursday, July 1, 2010

Oh, Lollipop!

When George was 18 months we took him on a whirlwind vacation to Spain, France and Austria. Throughout the trip we were shocked by the all the strangers who'd hand George candy. I think it's a European thing. And if that wasn't upsetting enough for first-time parents, a kindly old man on a boardwalk in Oviedo, Spain gave George a cough drop. (No, he wasn't coughing!) It was on this vacation George had his first lollipop only because I couldn't wrestle it away after yet another stranger handed it to him. How did he even know what it was? Fast forward to Milo, just 14 months old and eating a lollipop with George. Now I'm the one with the shocking behavior. Apparently, a third child will make one instantly turn European.

2 comments:

anny said...

I think the candy is an Asian thing, too. Last week, Tyler and I went to get teriyaki, and the woman there asked if she could give him (16 months) a piece of hard candy.

Hugo's Momma said...

It happens all the time here in Vienna. I'm surprised how many people want to give a baby chocolate and candy.....