Monday, January 3, 2011

How Long is Too Long?

Three weeks ago my purse went "missing." We figured it was most likely stolen from the trunk of our car, which I learned is often left unlocked.

I quickly cancelled my credit cards, contacted the police and moved on.

Fast forward to last night when I got a message on my cell phone telling me my purse is at "How to Cook a Wolf," which is a delicious restaurant I ate at three weeks ago with some girlfriends.

THREE. WEEKS. AGO.

The husband, whom I like to call Clay, picked up the purse last night after we put the kids to bed. Once the purse was home and safe I went through it and found the expected contents, which were not limited to a baby sling, a pair of ballet shoes, various playmobil people, beads, diapers and rubber stampers.

But there was also MY driver's license, with MY address on it and MY business cards (which don't specify a "business") along with several other pieces of information with MY name and phone number on them. Three Weeks?!

Out of curiosity, and now frustration I call the restaurant and leave a message for the manager simply saying thanks for returning it but wtf took so long. (Clay and I speculate they were closed for the last few weeks or they have a policy of not riffling through people's stuff. Perhaps reasonable.)

The manager of all of Ethan Stowell's restaurants called me today and gave me the following explanation, "We tried to find you on Facebook but you don't seem to have an account."

Are you kidding me? Are you 12 years old? That's why it took three weeks? Because I don't have an account on Facebook?

Finally a reason to get a Facebook account! That's exactly the motivation I needed.

Ethan Stowell, I have nothing more to say to you. And your silly friend Mark Zuckerberg either.

5 comments:

kim said...

When I followed the link to the Wolf place, it stated they are accepting reservations for New Year's 2010. I think they're just very relaxed -- and maybe they've been scolded one too many times for riffling a purse.

Just be grateful you got back the ballet shoes.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Kim, can't disagree more. Doesn't matter if
the purse is left in a restaurant or found on the street,
taking three weeks to return it is not acceptable.
A conscientious person would have had that purse returned to its owner the day it was found.
Grandpa La La

Anonymous said...

Shame on Ethan Stowell's crew. They should have sent you a note to notify you they had your bag. That would have taken 30 seconds of their time.

kim said...

For the record, I have been known to return health insurance ID cards, driver's licenses, keys and dogs. I once found a wallet at Trader Joe's, but turned it into customer service w/o opening it because I didn't want someone to accuse me of taking anything.

I've had waiters chase after me to return a forgotten box of leftovers - so you think someone could have chased Robin down to return the purse.

On the bright side, her purse laid around for 3 weeks and no one stole anything.

Debbie said...

Good customer service shouldn't end when you walk out the door...

Plus it seems a little crazy to look closely enough at the purse to get a name and search facebook, but not to then take the time to check the phone book or send off a piece of email.

That said, perhaps after inspecting Robin's purse, they were afraid that she would bring her many children with her to pick up the purse?