Sunday, June 20, 2010

Surprise!



We just got home from a surprise birthday party that our friend threw for his wife. He rented a cool venue on Capitol Hill, hired a band, decorated, had it catered and had the Molly Moon's ice cream truck show up. They even had a special sundae (ginger ice cream, whipped cream, fudge sauce and kumquat puree) in her honor!

This got me thinking about my big birthday, which is just around the corner. I'm far too picky for a surprise party. It would never work. Here is the alternative: I'm thinking of throwing my own surprise party.

I'll send out the Evite, under Clay's name of course. I'll forget to leave off the part about no gifts and I'll order a big delicious meal from a great caterer and serve cake for dessert. And when we reach the magic moment of Surprise!, I'll give an acting performance that would make Meryl Streep jealous. I'll look stunned. I'll openly weep. I'll consider fainting, depending on the mood.

What do you think? Good idea?

4 comments:

Vicki said...

Great idea. I just want an invite.

robinwehl said...

Vicki! I love you are still reading. That gets you an invite for certain. Plus, you "introduced" me to some very good friends. I just have to convince Clay... stay tuned.

Leora Bloom said...

Just let me know when! I'll volunteer to "keep you busy" or something like that so you can be really "surprised".

Hugo's Momma said...

Maybe I'll fly in for the big day...that would be a surprise no??