Thursday, December 23, 2010

Jury Duty Dooty

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I was actually excited about my jury duty dooty. I saw it as a break from children. My children, that is.

I woke up bright and early on Monday morning and left the house with my book under my arm and a smile on my face. I even wore a little lipstick for extra credibility.

Seven hours later that smile and lipstick had faded and I was stuck in a windowless room with a microwave and group of people who kept making popcorn. There was nothing close to walk to during our frequent 15 minute breaks and I was bored.

At times I was too bored to even read. (Even though I really like my book.)

Finally they called my name and I was requested to report to a court room. Once in the courtroom they actually made us raise our right hands and promise to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

So help me God, I was freakin' out. The judge asked us to sit down and let him know if there were reasons why we couldn't serve. I had prepared my list of excuses in my head. But when it came time, I couldn't say a word 'cause I swore I'd tell the truth. (If you just mouth the words does it still count?)

We even saw the defendant (who looked quite quilty, by the way). He had done something naughty with a gun.

And the worst part? I had to report back the following morning.

After 5 more hours in the jury assembly room the next day, it was finally announced they decided to settle "our case" without a jury. Whoo-hoo! Victory lap around the room. I came home to my yelling kids and never felt so alive! This is were I belong.

Favorite quote from my jury duty evesdropping:
Older Man "Are you still seeing that special girl? The one with the hepatitis?"
Younger Man "Trying not to."

1 comment:

Monice said...

I love that it's "the hepatitis."