Monday, August 8, 2011

Della Where?

We're back in D.C. after taking a "vacation within a vacation," as George called it. We visited our good friends Errol and Ruth Ann in Wilmington, Delaware.

OK. I know what you're thinking: "You didn't go to Delaware. It doesn't really exist."

Before this trip I had never been to Delaware. I had never met anyone who had ever been to Delaware. I knew one person, Leora, who claimed to be from "Delaware" but she has a funny accent and can't say 'tomato' correctly. She is not a credible source. I had never seen a news item about Delaware. I don't think I had even ever seen a picture from Delaware. I was convinced it was an elaborate tax scam leftover from the 70s.

Well, I'm here to let you know it's all for real. Delaware exists and it's as cute as a bug. We visited a faerie garden and an ice cream farm and waded in a river and walked barefoot in a deserted field next to a pond, where from out of the woods emerged a woman riding a horse-drawn carriage. She galloped past and disappeared around a bend in the rolling hills, but not before Clay was able to capture photographic evidence:









And here's more photographic evidence of this magic land they call Delaware, where the birds nests are REALLY big (and the birds really cute).



Delaware does exist. And it's magical.

2 comments:

kim said...

Sure, pack the non-toxic sunscreen but then allow the kids to wade in streams carrying WHO KNOWS WHAT?!?!

Never turn your back, or bare legs, on nature.

James C. Samans said...

FYI, the only Delaware-accented word is water (not tomato). Delawareans say "wooder." And I will concede, many of us who grew up there marvel at your description! Clearly, we missed the faerie pond, but there's no sales tax.