Friday, May 22, 2009

A Star is Born




Clay and I rented the movie A Star is Born (1976) and have been watching it the last three nights. Because we are rude and shallow people we've were discussing the physical attributes of the main characters.
I happen to think Kris Kristofferson is nasty, mainly because his character is such a doofus and also because he desperately needs to rid himself of all that hair. He does get points for his nice abs and smooth chest...
Barbara Streisand, on the other hand, looks smokin' hot.
Clay can't seem to get past her permed hair.

We were laughing about how in the late 70's a lot of people walked around sporting that look. Clay began reminiscing about his dad getting a perm around that time and looking a bit like Barbara. Of course this cracked me up and I laughed even harder at the thought of Grandpa La La sitting in a beauty parlor with curlers in his hair. Silly Clay didn't know that in order to get a perm, and curly Barbara hair, one needs curlers. I think it is common knowledge that perms need curlers, no? Well, tell Clay because he still insists that his dad would never have sat in a beauty parlor with curlers in his hair. He thinks there must have been some other way. Say it aint so Grandpa La La...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha! Maybe he just got a finger wave? (Is there such a thing? I think I made that up). I have never seen A Star is Born. I'll have to check it out. I just finished watching Valley Girl. Jeff's mom tried to talk him into getting a perm in high school. I really wish she had because those pictures would be priceless now. :-)

kim said...

I think that, technically, perm curlers are called "rods." Much more manly, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Let's get this story straight. The hair style was called an "Afro" and real men did not go to Beauty Shops or use perm curlers or rods (rods sounds better). What they did was uncover an electrical socket and hold one wire in each hand for a full minute, or until hair was properly "fro'd"! That's how REAL men do manly hair styles. Grandpa Lala with the real story.

Unknown said...

boy did that solution STINK! Believe me, I remember.