Saturday, April 17, 2010

An Open Letter to Ree Drumond, The Pioneer Woman



Dear Pioneer Woman,

Hi Ree, I hope this email finds you well. May I call you Ree, since that is your name?

I just returned home from what I thought was your book reading. My friend drove from Tacoma to my house in Seattle (1 hour drive) and we drove together to Third Place Books in Bothel, another 25 minutes. I brought Milo and Goldie with me and I envisioned Goldie sitting on the floor looking at picture books and Milo asleep in my arms while I sat back and enjoyed your stories of the ranch and your latest yummy recipes.

We arrived early because my friend is a planner and we wanted good seats.

When we arrived we learned it wasn't a book reading at all. It was a book signing. Darn. A little disappointing but we can roll with it. I buy your book and am handed a ticket to get it signed. Turns out we have to wait for our letter to be called and then we'll get our books signed.

We're still positive and the bookstore is fantastic! Multiple cafes and a play area for Goldie. Milo is content in the Ergo carrier and eventually dozes off on my chest. My friend and I eat sandwiches and chat with some of your fans that are waiting for their numbers to be called as well. We talk about recipes, other blogs and your darling daughter who is walking around the store in cowboy boots and Wrangler jeans!

Two hours later we're still waiting! They haven't even moved the first group though the line. Goldie is still having fun, she eats a yogurt while admiring herself in the mirror (see below) and belts out a Hebrew tune I've never heard.



It's now 6 p.m. and I'm feeling like a fool. It's going to be a few more hours at least and Milo is getting fussy.

We'd had enough. I returned my book for a full refund and left sad and disappointed.

Ree, if you are going to sign books and not read, you may want to include this information on your Website. It's important that people go in with the right expectations.

Bookless in Seattle,

Robin

P.S. I still love your cinnamon roll recipe. And your sheet cake, pot pie and lasagna.

3 comments:

robinwehl said...

*****UPDATE*****

She sent me an email, how cool is that?

"So sorry you had a bad experience, Robin! (I just got back to the hotel...falling asleep soon...zzzzz.)

Did Third Place advertise this as a reading? I ask, because when I arrived at Third Place, I was ready to "take the stage" as I have done at almost every event, and say a few words before opening it up to a 20 minute Q & A. Instead, the gals at the store told me it would just be a straight signing and that they'd advertised it that way. On my site, I simply have the schedule---not any details about whether the events involve speaking/reading or not.

Either way, I'm sure sorry your expectations weren't met! Of course, I only want people to have positive experiences surrounding both my cookbook and website---so I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted!

Love,
Ree"

kim said...

Very nice of her to respond, but she didn't say anything about how cute Goldie is. Nor did she offer to come to your house and cook you breakfast. Oh well, I quite enjoyed Saturday's improvisational excursion with you guys anyway.

Jan Hamilton said...

Hi Ree, I am kind of a relative--my husband was your Dad's cousin. I have bought my four chilldren your cookbook--they are yourr second cousins. Don't you just love relatives coming out of the woodwork. Anyway I loved your cook book and your love story. It was so much fun because I could put faces on a lot of the people in your book. Doug and Betsy came to my house in Edmond for Thanksgiving a few years ago and met a lot of relatives. Your Dad is a good guy. My husband's name was Bob Hamilton. His Dad was Dale Hamilton. I have seen you on lots of TV shows and brag to my friends. I will watch your new show on the food channel. Good luck! P.S. Your Dad is doing surgery on my brother-in-law this month. Love, Jan Hamilton