Thursday, June 26, 2008

Camp Robin




Right now I have four children under my watchful eye. Two of them belong to our friend Dave who is busy being a rockstar on KEXP. I'm not joking, he's doing a live gig on the radio with his band Head Like a Kite http://www.headlikeakite.com/ and it sounds great. (I tried to find it in the KEXP archives and link it here but I'm not smart enough.)

Dave, who created the band, is a very funny man. Clay went to Western with Dave and his wife Diana and the three of them started http://www.pattern25.com/ .


The reason I am mentioning all of this is because when Dave came to pick up his children he was dressed up like a pilot, I think. He even drew himself a mustache, which actually made him look like Clay's dad on his last visit. (See above photo from last summer and yes, that is George wearing a chicken costume while eating dinner.) The funniest part of it all was that Dave's gig was on the radio, not tv and not one listener could see his costume.


Back to all the kids in my backyard, they are hopping up and down making ice cream in

ziploc bags. This is one of my favorite projects leftover from my days as a camp director.


What you'll need:
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup milk or half & half
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons rock salt (I used kosher salt)
1 pint-size Ziploc plastic bag (heavy duty)
1 gallon-size Ziploc plastic bag (heavy duty)
Ice cubes
How to make it:
Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the rock salt. Seal the bag.
Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag, and seal it.
Place the small bag inside the large one and seal again carefully.
Shake until mixture is ice cream, about 5 minutes.
Wipe off top of small bag, then open carefully and enjoy!

No comments: