Monday, June 9, 2008

Short story long and more boring with recipe

While taking a pilates class that sucked, I met a woman who had just moved to Seattle with her family. She used to do wardrobe for movies and met her husband on a movie set, unlike all our other friends who work for Microsoft.
After class I gave her "my card" suggesting that she call or email with any questions about Seattle.
Clay dislikes when I give needless background while telling a story but I want all my readers (Debbie, Nancy and maybe Julie if she hung in there) to know all the important details. She is in NY until late tonight so Clay and I invited her husband and kids over for dinner. (Her kids call my house Robin's restaurant and think I can cook well. Tee-hee.) Wanting to impress them even more, I made linguine with arugula and black pepper from Giada De Laurentii's "Everyday Pasta".
It is such an easy recipe and is most often a hit except when I screw it up by not adding enough salt or too much cheese.

Here is the recipe.

1 pound linguine
1/2 stick of butter
1 cup very finely grated Pecorino Romano
Salt to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 cup coarsely chopped arugula
Cut up the butter into cubes and put in a large bowl to let soften.
Use a big enough bowl to toss the pasta later.
Cook pasta until al dente, stirring every so often to keep from sticking to the bottom.
Grate the Pecorino, grind the black pepper, and chop the arugula while the pasta is cooking.
Save a cup of the pasta water and set aside and drain the pasta.
Immediately put the hot pasta into the bowl with the butter, add the arugula and toss to coat. Gradually add cheese and salt and pepper. Add in some reserved pasta water as needed. The pasta water makes the pasta taste like it is bathing in a cream sauce. Yum!
Taste the pasta and add salt, if needed.

By the way, I made them other things as well, not just pasta.
Bummer Clay left our camera at the new house 'cause a picture would have been lovely. Instead I'll post a picture of my darling children.

No comments: