Sunday, June 15, 2008

Way to go Prius!

My family celebrated Father's day on Camano Island today.
Camano is about 60 miles north of Seattle and takes us about one hour door-to-door.
On our way home we stopped to fuel up. As Clay got back into the car he mention that it cost us $36 to fill up our car. One year ago we were paying around $22.
Pulling out of the gas station I made Clay drive very slowly to see what others were paying and to our horror we saw a Suburban with a tab of $153 and still pumping!
We averaged 51 mpg so the drive cost us less than $7.

Why doesn't every new car purchaser buy a hybrid? (Clay thinks I shouldn't write that as it sounds arrogant and he told me about a funny episode of South Park where the characters who drove hybrids sat around together basking in the scent of their farts.)

Which leads me straight into this new, at least new to me, concept of "people sorting" and like minded people clustering together in states, cities and communities. The book that explains it all is called The Big Sort: Why the Clustering of Like-Minded America Is Tearing Us Apart. Spending time with so many PLU's (People Like Us) makes the rare outsider seem wrong in all other ways. (I haven't read it yet so I don't really know what I'm talking about but maybe it helps explain why I'm quick to judge.)

By the way, my brother's girlfriend uses SPF 4 and my brother burns plastic in our fire pit at Camano. They seem like like-minded folks who found each other. Yay for clustering, I guess.

No comments: