Monday, April 6, 2009

Plain ole wrong




I made Dutch Babies for breakfast this morning and while hunting for the recipe I found the following recipe.

http://bakingbites.com/2006/04/easter-egg-challah

I'm the last person you'd call religious but excuse me, calling a bread challah and inserting Easter eggs in it is about as kosher as having a Christmas tree and hanging Hanukkah ornaments on it.

Call it Easter bread but certainly not challah!

Challah is a special braided bread eaten by Jews on the Sabbath and holidays.

According to Jewish tradition Shabbat and holiday meals begin with a blessing over the challah. This bread commemorates the manna that fell from the heavens when the Israelites wandered in the desert for forty years after the Exodus from Egypt. It is these hunks of bread, recognizable by their traditional braided style, that are referred to as challah.

And, as far as Historians can tell, there weren't any Easter eggs in it. Imagine the mess they would have created as they fell from the sky.

5 comments:

deebee said...

Holy Macaroly! Too much. What was someone thinking????

Anonymous said...

Mabe Clay can fined you a better recipe. you know between his ultimate fighting and a hockey game.
Larry

The Reluctant Mother said...

Hey! Didn't you buy me a hanukah Christmas ornament? LOL

robinwehl said...

Yes Nancy Jo, but you aint Jewish.
See my point?

Julie said...

Yeah, Easter eggs does not a challah make.

The Eastern Orthodox church has its own lovely Easter bread tradition. In Ukraine (where they are very big on Easter eggs), the special Easter bread was called paska, as I recall (also the name for Easter itself). It's sweet and a little bit eggy.

I once locked myself out of my Kiev apartment and the wonderful next-door neighbors invited me over and served me tea from their nicest china and a partly stale but otherwise quite nice paska bread.

Then we watched a Russian dub of the old Beverly Hills 90210.